Friday, April 2, 2010

The Ten Count 04.01.10:Ten Reasons Why I Love Floyd Mayweather Jr.




It's never easy to admit fault, but after a long discussion last night, I've realized that really, given Floyd Mayweather Jr's history in the sport of boxing, it's almost impossible to be against the guy. Ludicrous, even. So, with that being said, I'm just going to jump into this "Ten Count"/apology for my actions.

Ten Reasons Why Ryan Bates Loves Floyd Mayweather Jr.

10. I'll start with the one thing that I've never denied about Floyd Mayweather Jr. – he is exceptionally skilled. Phenomenally skilled. He practically reinvented defensive boxing, defining the sweet science once again as "hit and not get hit," and took it to the Nth degree. When a defensive move becomes labeled as "Mayweather's shoulder roll" you know you're doing something right.

9. Floyd Mayweather Jr. gives to charity. Out of character for him? I think so, but I've seen him do it with my own eyes. You don't hear about it much, but Floyd routinely buys a grip of food for homeless people and passes it out himself. The last time it was reported on the news, it was sandwiches and chips. If this was reported more often, I bet he'd have more people cheering for him than against him.

8. As all of his supporters have repeatedly mentioned, 40-0 is nothing to sneeze at. With such great champions and Hall-Of-Fame locks like Sharmba Mitchell, Carlos Baldomir, and Henry Bruseles, it's understandable why he clearly is the G.O.A.T.

7. His almost-maniacal work ethic, recently demonstrated with his obsession with reaching the catchweight set between himself and top lightweight Juan Manuel Marquez.

6. His sudden need to clean up the sport. Why it took Manny Pacquiao to send Mayweather on this holy quest I'll never understand. I mean, Mayweather is fighting the good fight here. I'm sure Shane Mosley has taken at least 64 tests by now. Not that we've heard about any of them. We hear when Mayweather sneezes in a club or Mosley farts in the Big Bear Mountains, but we haven't heard about any drug tests. Oh well, I'm sure Mayweather is just as insistent with these tests as he was with Pacquiao, and not just making an excuse to save his bacon.

5. His immense mainstream crossover appeal, as demonstrated by... um... the WWE! Well, maybe that's not the best example of mainstream. Uh... he was in... um... that internet provider commercial... and... um... oh yeah! Dancing With The Stars.

4. Philthy Rich Records, and Floyd's bustling rap career.

3. Hahaha! I can't keep this up... I'm laughing too hard over here. You HAD to know there was an April Fool's article coming up! Happy April Fool's Day!

2. The fact that Floyd's Disciples are probably right now working on hate-filled emails and trying to firebomb my house before they even reached Reason Number 3 and figured out it was all a joke. (10 and 9 weren't jokes, by the way. He IS insanely skilled and donates to the homeless.)

1. The fact that come May 1, there's a very valid chance that Floyd Mayweather may not be laughing from the ass-whooping that Shane Mosley might have in store. And that, my friends, is no joke.

Author: Ryan Bates

Source: 411mania.com

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails