Thursday, April 29, 2010

Shane Mosley predicts upset against unbeaten Mayweather

LAS VEGAS — Roger Mayweather offered perspective at Wednesday's final news conference in trying to describe the magnitude of the welterweight showdown Saturday night between the fighter he trains, his nephew Floyd Mayweather Jr., and "Sugar" Shane Mosley, the WBA welterweight champion.

"If it wasn't a great fight, all you people wouldn't be here eating this free food," Mayweather told the gathered news media stuffing their faces at the MGM Grand.

Thus it was as the fighters met the press for the final time before Saturday night's mega fight (HBO pay-per-view, 9 p.m. ET) at the Grand Garden Arena.

Both men appeared relaxed and ready for what is undoubtedly the biggest fight to date for Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) and Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs).

Mayweather, who could make more than $40 million, as usual focused on the subject of his nickname, "Money."

"Other young up-and-coming fighters ask, 'Why does Floyd make so much more money?' " Mayweather said. "But they fail to realize that Floyd Mayweather's keeping the sport going. I'm the face of boxing.

"You put in the hard work, dedicate yourself, put together the best team, you're going to get the biggest and best payday. Of course you have to have great results once you get inside the ring. I've always had great results."

Mayweather's unbeaten record helped make him a 4-1 favorite at Las Vegas sports books Wednesday. The boxer, whose speed and defensive prowess might be second to none, addressed the question of why some find his fights a bit boring.

"I can't help that it's so one-sided they say the fight is boring," Mayweather said. "That's not my fault. I'm just that good. Some fighters are God-gifted. I just happen to be one of those athletes that are God-gifted. That's no different from a Kobe Bryant or LeBron James. Those are God-gifted athletes.

"A lot of fighters are just very talented. That's the difference between me and a lot of (others)."

The biggest difference, Mayweather, 33, says, is his nearly impenetrable defense.

"It's that defense. You can't break through that defense," he said. "It's not cool to take punches. If I was in a bunch of wars, I probably wouldn't be here giving you guys interviews right now."

Mosley, 38, smiling broadly, brushed off his underdog status.

"At this point it doesn't even bother me," he said. "They were picking (Antonio) Margarito to win, too, by a landslide, and people were talking about my health, that he was going to retire me.

"I'm telling you guys, (Mayweather's) not going to beat me."

Mosley, who will make at least $7 million, is happy to finally be in a fight of such magnitude.

"To be beating the best people and not getting the biggest fights, that's been a down part of my career," he said. "I'm happy to be in a mega fight, and I'm going to give everything I got to the fans to show them that I'm the best fighter. To show them who 'Sugar' Shane Mosley really is.

"Like Roy Jones said, 'They must have forgot.'"

Author: Bob Velin

Source: Usatoday.com

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails