Thursday, April 22, 2010

Opposites attract: Former champion Steve Forbes speaks from within camp Mayweather


As he gears up for his May 1st clash with ‘Sugar’ Shane Mosley, Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been full of bravado and bold proclamations. While never being one to shy away from boasting of his own abilities, Floyd has seemed to kick things up a notch for this fight in particular. Perhaps it is the fact that he is getting a taste of the spotlight again after a long layoff from the sport or maybe it is because those around him, such as his father Floyd Sr. and Uncle Roger, have rubbed off on him but either way it’s obvious to see that Little Floyd is in rare form.

Inside of camp Mayweather you will find your share of egos, opinions, and contrasting characters. One man who doesn’t seem to fit the mold of others around him despite his obvious contributions is mild-mannered former champion Steve Forbes who was brought in near the end of last month as a sparring partner for his longtime friend Floyd. When thinking of the relationship that Forbes has with the Mayweathers it is obvious that the Oregon native may have a different temperament yet it is obvious from hearing him speak how apparent their camaraderie is.

“Well I’ve been working and training with the Mayweathers pretty much my whole career,” Forbes said recently. “I won a world championship with those guys, I prepared for the Contender with those guys so there is just a long history there. They called me a few weeks ago and asked me if I could come out and help Floyd and I said that I could switch my schedule around and I would be honored to come out and help.”

Elaborating further, Forbes revealed that his association with the Grand Rapids clan was one that impacted his career in several different capacities. Years before young Floyd was getting his first taste of fame Forbes was by his side witnessing his early progression and the paths of both men has been eventful and noteworthy.

“I first met Roger when I was sixteen,” Forbes stated. “I met Floyd when he was in the amateurs. It’s funny because he was fighting at 106 pounds back then. I would come here for the regional golden gloves and one of my trainers in the amateurs told Roger than when I turned pro they wanted him to train me. I pretty much knew by then that I would be moving to Vegas. I came up here and I sparred with Floyd Jr. and he told met hat I was going to be a champion too. This was back in 1996 when we started together. He had his first pro fight and I turned pro two months later.”

Two years after turning professional Mayweather would capture his first world title with a thorough thrashing of Genero Hernandez at the Las Vegas Hilton. Forbes’ road to a title was much more checkered, as fought in obscurity for a great duration of his career before breaking through with a title-winning effort against John Brown in September of 2001. In time Mayweather would stamp himself as one of the sport’s premier fighters and while Forbes has yet to regain that championship glory he did introduce himself to American audiences with his successful campaign on the second season of The Contender series. While Floyd’s star has always shined a little bit brighter there is no animosity stemming from Forbes, who points out the secrets to Jr.’s success.

“It’s been real good,” Forbes said of their relationship. “I’ve seen guys work out and I’ll say this. After you’ve seen Floyd work out you have to re-evaluate your whole workout routine. This guy is the hardest worker I have ever seen, bar none. I have never seen a guy work out so hard and so intense. Floyd trash talks and stuff like that but for every bit of trash talk he works ten times harder in the gym. It’s been great just being here and getting in there and working with him. It’s been tough and it’s been great. He’s a truly great fighter.”

While in camp Forbes has had a chance to again witness Mayweather’ s dynamic personality on all fronts. While the public is often only aware of the brazen and brash nature that Floyd exhibits, Forbes has gotten to see many facets to his persona.

“I don’t think people really get to see Floyd for who he really is,” he claimed. “I mean you always see the trash-talking and that’s fun and stuff. I will tell you one thing, he doesn’t curse and stuff like that around little kids. And he just has a good heart. He’s one of the nicest people that I have met and who I have grown up with. It’s funny because when I was turning pro he was actually getting me fights. He was with Top Rank and he would call them and tell them about me. He and I fought on a few cards together. It was great to have the Mayweathers around and it was like a big family atmosphere.”

It should also be noted that this is the second high-profile camp that Forbes has been a part of in the past few months as he helped prep Manny Pacquiao for his March 13th clash with Joshua Clottey. Working with the Filipino icon at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles may have been something new but it was an experience that Forbes was able to appreciate.

“Manny is a great guy also,” Forbes said. “I never was really close to Manny but we did become cool. But still he was just concentrating on his work, it wasn’t like this camp where I have known guys my whole life and career. It was similar because Manny also have friends supporting him but people in Floyd’s camps have been there for years and years.”

With a Mayweather-Pacquiao bout easily the most desired contest around town it is only natural to ask Forbes for his opinion, as he has had an intimate view of both men in recent times. Forbes closes out by giving his thoughts and slightly favoring the man he knows best.

“I think both guys work hard but I will say that I never have seen a person work like Floyd Mayweather. I’m not saying that because I am here I am saying that because it is the truth. If they met it would be a good fight but me personally I would have to lean towards the guy that has never been beaten. There is no book on how to beat him. I think it will be a great fight.”

Author: Chris Robinson

Source: examiner.com

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails